Centaur Biomechanics has been commissioned for many research projects from leading companies, covering a variety of topics related to horse and rider performance and soundness. A large proportion of Centaur's research has been based around saddle fit and design working closely with Mark Fisher, who operates the Pliance pressure mapping system for the Society of Master Saddlers and British Equestrian Federation. We have completed 73 projects working with various manufacturers to help adjust and improve saddle fit and help understand the relationship between saddle fit and horse's movement. In 2010 Centaur formed part of the research team behind the Fairfax Performance Girth, termed Team GB's Secret Weapon at the London 2012 games. As well as these projects Centaur has carried out studies looking at rider's position, surfaces, massage systems, studs and training aids.
Centaur's research has become internationally respected with publications in Equine Veterinary Journal, poster and oral presentations at international equine conferences, as well as national magazines. The protocols, systems and practice we employ have been scientifically validated and approved. If you have a research idea or would like to scientifically test a product, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, where we will be happy to discuss, in confidence, your project details.
R. MacKechnie-Guire, E. MacKechnie-Guire, V. Fairfax, D. Fisher, M. Fisher and T. Pfau. (2019, Tree Width on Thoracolumbar and Limb Kinematics, Saddle Pressure Distribution, and Thoracolumbar Dimensions in Sports Horses in Trot and Canter, Animals - Open Access https://www.mdpi.com/2076-2615/9/10/842/pdf
R. Murray, R. MacKechnie-Guire, M. Fisher and V. Fairfax. (2019), Could pressure distribution under race-exercise saddles affect limb kinematics and lumbosacral flexion in the galloping racehorse? JEVS, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0737080619305441?via%3Dihub
R. MacKechnie-Guire, E. MacKechnie-Guire, V. Fairfax, D. Fisher, M. Fisher and T. Pfau. (2019), Kinematics of the thoracolumbar spine whilst cantering in horses fitted with a saddle of three different widths, BEVA Congress, EVJ Supplement, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/evj.13_13152?af=R
- R. MacKechnie-Guire, E. MacKechnie-Guire, V. Fairfax, D. Fisher, M. Fisher and T. Pfau. (2019), Can saddle tree width affect saddle pressure distribution whilst cantering?, BEVA Congress, EVJ Supplement, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/evj.16_13152?af=R
- R. Murray, R. MacKechnie-Guire, M. Fisher and V. Fairfax. (2019), Could breastplate design influence jumping kinematics? A pilot study, BEVA Congress, EVJ Supplement, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/evj.14_13152
- Dyson S, Ellis AD, Mackechnie‐Guire R, Douglas J, Bondi A, Harris P. The influence of rider:horse bodyweight ratio and rider‐horse‐saddle fit on equine gait and behaviour: A pilot study. Equine Veterinary Education. 2019
- Dyson S, Tranquille C, Walker V, Guire R, Fisher M, Murray R. A subjective descriptive study of the warm-up and turn to a fence, approach, take-off, suspension, landing and move-off in 10 showjumpers. Equine Veterinary Education. 2018;30(1):41-52.
- R. Murray, R. Mackechnie-Guire, M. Fisher and V. Fairfax, 2018. Reducing peak pressures under the saddle at thoracic vertebrae 10-13 is associated with alteration in jump kinematics. Comparative Exercise Physiology.
- R. Mackechnie-Guire, E Mackechnie-Guire, R. Bush, V. Fairfax, A. Lawson, D. Fisher, M.Fisher, S. Hargreaves and T.Pfau.. The effect of saddle width on thoracolumbar range of motion, ICEEP 2018, https://www.wageningenacademic.com/doi/pdf/10.3920/cep2018.s1
- R. Mackechnie-Guire, E Mackechnie-Guire, R. Bush, A. Lawson, S. Hargreaves , S. Assirelli, V. Fairfax, D. Fisher, M. Fisher and T. Pfau. Induced rider asymmetry and its effects on equine limb kinematics and thoracolumbar range of motion, ICEEP 2018, https://www.wageningenacademic.com/doi/pdf/10.3920/cep2018.s1
- Mackechnie-Guire R, Mackechnie-Guire E, Bush R, R.Wyatt, Fisher D, Fisher M, et al. A controlled, blinded study investigating the effect that a twenty minute Cycloidal vibration has on whole horse locomotion and thoracolumbar profiles. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science. 2018.
- Murray R., Guire R., Fisher M. and Fairfax V. (2013) Girth pressure measurements reveal high peak pressures that can be avoided using an alternative girth design which also results in increased limb protraction and flexion in the swing phase. The Veterinary Journal 1, 92-97.
- Murray R., Guire R., Fisher M. and Fairfax V. (2015), A bridle designed to avoid peak pressure locations under the headpiece and noseband is associated with more uniform pressure and increased carpal and tarsal flexion, compared with the horse’s usual bridle. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science 35, 947-955.
- Guire R, Mathie H, Fisher M, Fisher D. Riders’ perception of symmetrical pressure on their ischial tuberosities and rein contact tension whilst sitting on a static object. Comparative Exercise Physiology. 2017;13(1):7-12.
- R. Guire, H. Mathie, M. Fisher and D Fisher. (2016), Riders’ perception of symmetrical pressure on their ischial tuberosities and rein contact whilst sitting on a static object, ICEL 2016, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/evj.07_12595
- Pfau T and Guire R. (2016), Automated detection of basic equestrian exercises based on smartphone accelerometer data. ICEL 2016, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/evj.72_12595
- Guire R, Weller R, Fisher M, Beavis J. Investigation Looking at the Repeatability of 20 Society of Master Saddlers Qualified Saddle Fitters’ Observations During Static Saddle Fit. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science. 2017;56:1-5.
- Murray R, Guire R, Fisher M, Fairfax V. Reducing Peak Pressures Under the Saddle Panel at the Level of the 10th to 13th Thoracic Vertebrae May Be Associated With Improved Gait Features, Even When Saddles Are Fitted to Published Guidelines. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science. 2017;54:60-9
- Mackechnie-Guire R, Mackechnie-Guire E, Bush R, Fisher D, Fisher M, Weller R. Local Back Pressure Caused by a Training Roller During Lunging With and Without a Pessoa Training Aid. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science. 2018.
- Russell Mackechnie-Guire EM-G, Mark Fisher, Helen Mathie, Rosie Bush, Thilo Pfau, Renate Weller Relationship Between Saddle and Rider Kinematics, Horse Locomotion, and Thoracolumbar Pressures in Sound Horses. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science 69 2018;69:43-52.
- R. Guire, Barstow A., Fisher M., Mathie H., Benson B., Weller R. and Pfau T, Difference Between Centrally and Laterally Positioned Saddle on Equine Head and Pelvic Range of Motion in Trot and Canter, ICEL 2016, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/evj.06_12595
- R. Guire E. Mackechnie, R. Bush, A. Lawson, V. Fairfax, D. Fisher, M. Fisher, R. Weller, T. Pfau, Effect of tree width on kinematics of the thirteenth thoracic vertebra, thoracolumbar dimensions, saddle pressures and limb kinematics, BEVA Congress 2018, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/evj.30_13008
- R. Murray, R. Guire, M. Fisher, C.A. Tranquille, V. Fairfax, Could saddle design affect performance in the racing Thoroughbred? A pilot study, BEVA Congress 2018, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/evj.44_13008
Presented at BEVA Congress 2019
Presented at BEVA Congress 2019
Presented at BEVA Congress 2019
Presented at British Equine Veterinary Congress (BEVA), Birmingham, 2018
Presented at International Conference of Equine Locomotion (ICEL), London, 2016
Presented at British Equine Veterinary Congress (BEVA), Liverpool, 2017
Presented at International Society of Equitation Science (ISES), 2016, Samur